Annual Reviews

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-17-04 AT 03:27PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Hi! I am looking to update our annual review form. We are a credit consolodation company and our current form has 6 topics...

1. Overall Rating
2. Undertands Job Functions
3. Reliability
4. Flexibility
5. Communication Skills
6. Judgement

All of these catagories have a rating scale that range from Needs improvement to Exceeds Expectations and all the manager has to do is put a check mark in the appropriate box. There is also a section for Manager's comments (which is optional).

Bottom line...I totally dislike this form...Does anyone have a review form that "makes" the manager explain what the employee is doing right, what they need to improve on,where/how to find the tools needed to improve, timeframe for improvement and follow-up review date?

If so, can you email it to me at [email]snewman@lighthousecredit.org[/email]. Or if you have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it!

Happy Wednesday!

Shelley

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • When it comes to performance appraisal, I run a very flexible ship. I work with each dept. head to develop an instrument that is appropriate for the type of staff they have and that they feel comfortable with and will use. These run the gamut from numeric ratings to MBO to strictly narrative. I find the most meaningful ones are those that avoid numeric ratings, but I can’t get my business and operations types to embrace more narrative approaches and I figure something is (usually) better than nothing. In the narrative types, the job is divided into “domains” (a term we’ve borrowed from our state teacher appraisal system, which basically means the main areas of the job). The manager then has to write about what the ee’s strengths are in each area as well as what they need to improve (or perfect, if good already). The needed improvement areas are translated into goals that are as specific as possible. This is labor intensive for the managers, but really promotes discussion and removes the focus from arguing about whether they “deserved” a 1 or a 2 (or a “meets” or “exceeds”).

Sorry I can't offer a form but I hope this is helpful.
  • Thank you Whirlwind!

Have a Great Thanksgiving!