Clean Desk Policy and Shredding Policy

Does anyone have a Clean Desk Policy and/or a Shredding Policy that they would be willing to share? If so, can you please e-mail to [email]ksauer@datacenterinc.com[/email].

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The only policy we have is that our custodial engineers better not clean or straighen my desk or I would never be able to find anything.
  • For those of you who are interested, the "clean desk" policy/term has come about because of the GLBA - Gramm Leach Bliley Act. This has to do with companies involved in the financial industry dealing with customer confidential information. The "clean desk" refers to making sure that this confidential information is kept confidential and not available to any one without a need to know. Although I am a neat freak, that was not the intent of the question. Thanks for the information however.
  • When you interview janitorial prospects, do you screen-in or screen-out the kinesthetic thinker? These are important concerns, mind you. You may also want to insist that each candidate demonstrate to your satisfaction how they would arrange a typical broom closet.
  • I'm curious what year was this Act? For those in personnel and records; confidentiality of information has always been a consideration. I guess sometimes we forget others might not see it as that basic.
  • That's a new one on me! Somebody with a clean desk has too much time on their hands! If mine had to be clean, I would have been written up and given my walking papers by now.

Seriously, if I leave with papers on my desk, anything confidential is tossed in the drawer overnight and other things are turned upside-down on top of my desk - in the order I want it in the morning. That's my policy.
  • Ours is one of many corporations practicing the principle and practice of Manufacturing 5-S. It's of Japanese origin as are many of the practices American companies have/are adopting.

Very simply the S's are: Sort, Straighten, Shine, Standardize and Sustain. It would take an hour to walk y'all through the complex tracking boards and procedures. But, sorting amounts to the whole facility going through every single item in their area and segregating the needed from the unneeded and getting rid of the unneeded. This includes every corner of every building and every office. Nothing in corners or unnecessarily stacked around on the floor or rolled up behind the door. What's in your area is intended for use. You must first be awarded 1-S in your area and it gets you a purple square on the board. Straighten means just what it says - a place for everything and everything in it's place. Shine means keep it orderly, neat and clean. Each S that you earn in order gets your department or area a new square and they can come down off the board. You move along in progression to Standardize and finally Sustain. Sustain means keeping it that way without deviation.

Sustain requires that at the end of the shift, at the end of the work day, your area, yes, your desktop, is orderly and sustained. If not, you go back to achieving 2-S.

As silly as this may sound to most of you, and it did to me at first, it works. It gets junk out of the way, keeps things looking good and makes people happier. (We sing regularly and I'm learning to hum Kum-by-Yah). Key to the process is getting every employee's involvement and getting a sense of pride going with group pressure when needed.

Some of you can see the relationship of this p