new employee handbook

I've been assigned the task of updating our employee handbook. I down loaded a template from the internet and it appears to be adequate. I've made the changes that apply to us and would like someone to review it. Is there any way to get it reviewed by someone reputable without hiring an attorney? How can I find out what is legally required to be in a policy manuel? I want to give correct info but if there are details that I can leave out(stuff that I'm not required by law to have)it would make it a less daunting task.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Hi, May I ask where you found your template? I have been asked to do the same task as well.

Thanks!
    Sherry
  • I just went to YAHOO and searched using the criteria - "employee policy". There are several sites you can download from. All you have to decide is how much money you want to spend.
  • I don't know about Yahoo's policies, but we have a great sample Policy & Procedure Manual right here on HRhero.com. It's written by our own Margaret Morford, who's an HR consultant, attorney, and active Employers Forum member. The best thing is that the policies have notes from Margaret (marked in red) explaining why the policy is written the way it is.

If you're an Employment Law Letter subscriber, the sample policy is available at no extra charge in the subscribers area of this website. Go to [url]www.HRhero.com[/url] and click on "Login." If you don't subscribe, you can get a free trial subscription at
    [url]http://www.hrhero.com/empnl.shtml[/url].

No matter where you get your policies from, there's no substitute for getting an attorney from your state to look it over for hidden problems particular to your state.
    [url]http://www.hrhero.com/findanattorney.shtml[/url]

Good luck.

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • If you belong to SHRM - they have one on their website - free of charge. If you belong to an association, in Washington our company belongs to Washington Employers, Inc., they will review the handbook and let you know what should or shouldn't be included. Sometimes, if you have EPLI, they will review as well. However, having an attorney from your state review the materials is always the best policy - make sure the attorney is an employment one as well - the same attorney that your company goes to for contracts/real estate, etc., may not be able to give you the most up to date employment law information - and they may charge more for 'researching' the info. for you.