Office Dress Code

We are developing a business casual dress code policy for our office. Any examples would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You'll probably get some good responses to your question, but you might also try doing a search of the forum (click the Search link at the top of the page). I know this topic has come up a couple of different times.

Christy Reeder
    Website Managing Editor
    [url]www.HRhero.com[/url]
  • Following is an excerpt from a memo distributed back in 2001 that we still adhere to. We have a business casual, not casual, so it may not apply to your situation. Hope it helps; if you have any questions feel free to shoot me an email at [email]tracy.vanostran@erac.com[/email]

With the recent addition and/or expansion to our campus, we’ve had to take a hard look at our current Casual Day policy and evaluate whether or not it is in accordance with the value we place on professionalism as a company. Since we’ve added a significant number of employees and different business units to our current location, there are many more considerations that need to be made. As you have noticed, I’m sure, we have had an increasing number of customers, vendors, applicants, and group/corporate employees visiting our Group Headquarters as a result of the changes made, and it is vital that our professional image be maintained with all of them.
    After discussing our options with group management, as well as corporate, several different regional headquarters, and other companies that allow casual dress, it’s been agreed that it is necessary to make a few modifications to our current casual dress policy. Effective immediately, the following dress code will apply on casual days:
    · Regular business dress (required if you are meeting with customers, vendors or applicants)
    · Neat and clean casual slacks, including “Dockers”, khakis
    · Professional sweaters or sweater sets
    · Sport shirts with collars
    · Casual dresses, skorts, culottes and skirts (no shorter than 2 inches above the knees)
    · Neat and clean shoes
    · Socks or stockings must be worn

The following are guidelines for what constitutes casual day attire that is not acceptable:
    · Tight fitting or extremely oversized clothing
    · Denim or leather clothing
    · Sweatpants, shorts, spandex or leggings
    · Sleeveless top (unless worn under a jacket or sweater)
    · Sweatshirts, or athletic attire
    · Flannel shirts
    · Skirts with high slits or sarongs
    · Open toed shoes
    · Athletic shoes

While we do recognize and value casual day, it’s important that we move to a more “business casual” casual day that reflects the importance we place on professionalism. Thanks for your consideration, and let your HR Supervisor/Manager or me know if you have any questions or need further clarification.