Reviewing Applications

We have two long-standing policies at our higher-education institution that have recently come under question because they are "inconvenient."

The first -- professional positions are open for 30 days and we do not allow applications to be reviewed until the end of the advertising period to prevent last minute applicants from being "penalized" for waiting. Our hiring managers complain because it does not allow them to get a "head start" on the process. Are we being unnecessarily strict?

The second -- hiring managers are allowed to check out the applications for review in their offices during normal operating hours, but must return them to Human Resources before the office closes -- therefore are not allowed to review them outside of the facility or after hours. Are we being unnecessarily strict?

Thanks!

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • First- IMHO-yes. We allow review of applications on going.

Second-IMHO-no. I don't like applications floating all over the place.
  • (1) Yes, (2) No.
    I don't think you have a valid stated reason for waiting until the deadline to begin the review process. You are putting an unnecessary obstacle in your path. I never thought of viewing the timing of submissions as 'penalizing late filers of resumes'. I've studied the resume response cycle a million times and feel you get a rush of those who simply wrote down the company name initially and fired off a resume, then a trickle of good ones, followed by a lull and then out of the blue toward the end of your application period, a few well qualified ones. This policy you have is indeed unnecessarily strict. It serves no purpose other than to place one more sandtrap between you and the green, ratherbegolfing. Secondly, stick to your guns about original documents (resumes/applications) leaving the department, or at minimum, the facility. I never pass an original down the hall for managers to review. That's a sure fire way to never see it again. Always pass copies down the hall and note on your originals to whom you sent them with the date. Then, let them take them home if they so choose.