Anti-Nepotism Policy

My employer is interested in banning the hiring of family members regardless of whether they report to one another or not. First of all, is there a law against this in the state of Wisconsin? Secondly, does anyone have a sample policy I could use as a template in developing this policy for my company? Thanks.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You can find sample policies submitted by other forum members at:

[url]http://www.hrhero.com/policies/policyindex.shtml[/url]

If anyone else would like to add a policy to the list, please e-mail it to [email]creeder@mleesmith.com[/email]

Christy Reeder
    Website Managing Editor
    [url]www.HRhero.com[/url]
  • Here are two policies:

Employment of Relatives

The Company may refuse to hire relatives of present employees if doing so could result in actual or potential problems in supervision, security, safety or morale, or if doing so could create potential conflicts of interest. The Company defines “relatives” as spouses, children, siblings, parents, in-laws, and step-relatives.
    If two employees marry or become related, causing actual or potential problems such as those described above, only one of the employees will be retained with the Company, unless reasonable accommodations can be made to eliminate the actual or potential problems. The employees will have 30 days to decide which relative will stay with the company. If this decision is not made within the time allowed, the president of the Company will make the decision, taking the employment history and job performance of both employees into account.

Employment of Relatives:
    Relatives of employees may be eligible for employment with the Company only if individuals involved do not work in a direct supervisory relationship, or in job positions in which a conflict of interest could arise. The Company defines “relatives” as spouses, children, siblings, parents, in-laws, and step-relatives. Present employees who marry will be permitted to continue working in the job position held only if they do not work in a direct supervisory relationship with one another or in job positions involving conflict of interest.