Mail Policies- Terrorism

Has anyone drafted any precautionary policies around mail receipt/processing in light of the terrorist scare?

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I would also like to know how everybody out there is handling this issue. I did notice that our mail clerk has been wearing rubber gloves while handling the mail. This is a precaution she has taken on herself, but what are other employers out there doing to protect their employees?
  • I found some guidelines issued by the US Postal Service, including information on anthrax.
  • Here's a link to a related Employers Forum thread that has excellent information on handling mail in light of recent events.

[url]http://www.hrhero.com/employersforum/DCForumID14/498.html#[/url]

Christy Reeder
    Website Managing Editor
    [url]www.HRhero.com[/url]
  • We are providing latex gloves and face masks for our associates opening the mail. We are also following the guidelines from the postal service in that any suspicious mail is not to be opened, but placed in a plastic bag for further examination by the proper authorities.
  • I have actually written a new policy addressing mail/package handling procedures. PPE includes rubber gloves, surgical masks; equipment includes one-gallon zip-lock bags, larger plastic trash bags, and sheets of plastic to cover large areas of material (a spill). The policy states that one person shall be donned in the PPE to do the initial mail sort while a stand-by is posted at the door. If a contaminated article is found, the stand-by shuts & locks the mail room door and calls 911 and the Safety Manager. The person stays locked in the mail room to avoid spread of contamination elsewhere in the plant or to other people.

I work for a chemicals facility, so we really went all out on this one. I used the CDC guidelines dated 10/12/01 to help me write the policy. It seems ridiculous -- opening mail with gloves & masks -- but the first time something happens we'll be glad we did it.

If anyone wants a copy, email me a [email]kwise@phelpsdodge.com[/email]

• We just completed our Mail Opening plan, just for good measure. We don't believe anything would happen in our small south Texas town, but you never know.