Employment Policies - Help!

We are updating our employee handbook and I need some help. Our old handbook goes into great detail on some of the policies. For example, our EEOC policy consists of 4 pages. Is this necessary? I would prefer to summarize the information into a few simple paragraphs that the employee may actually read and understand. How do I know which policies can be condensed and how simple I can go? I really like the sample book provided on this website. Also, if I do simplify our handbook, do we need some other document that does go into the detail that we previously had? Any help is appreciated!!!

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I have written condensed versions for the handbook that refer to the actual policies. The policies themselves are the ones I require a signed acknowledgment for, therefore, assuring they have been read (i.e. paid time off, automation, harrassment, substance abuse).
  • Simple is best when it comes to the employee handbook. Some employers supplement the handbook with an HR manual which goes into greater detail and which is directed at managers and supervisors. You can have a wide ranging manual or a skinny one. The skinny one would contain detail on those policies which seem to need more detail, judging from your experience in dealing with questions from employees and managers. Some policies should be in greater detail - harassment and family leave (if you have more than 50 employees) comes to mind. On the harassment one you need to make sure that the employee handbook is detailed enough to provide the information that employees need so that they understand how to make a complaint.
  • Have any of you guys put your handbooks on line and if so, has this proven to be successful? I have run into the problem of constant updates and reprinting which is becoming cost prohibitive. How do you get acknowledgements back when you have the handbooks on line.

Looks like everything is becoming highly technical these days from the on-line handbooks to on-line benefits. We are looking at all of this as we are growing, but more demands are being placed on our HR personnel. We are trying to put a lot of this type of responsiblity on employees, but am not sure they will take to it.

Thanks for your info.
  • I have just demoed software by a company out of California that can produce state specific employee handbooks. They will also host it on their web-site for a small annual fee and you can check for updates at any time. They also can track who has read what on-line. If you are interested, e-mail me at [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email] and I'll get you the information.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge