Employment application

Our application is very out-of-date. Can anyone share any lawyer-approved or time-tested apps with me? Any recommendations or resources for what to include or specific wording to use?

One of our departments uses a different application for each job title. The applications ask about specific skills or experience that relate to the position. I want one (maybe two) apps to cover all positions. How do you handle this?

Send samples to my email on the forum, my work email - [email]ofalfin3@apci.net[/email], or fax to 618/624-4508. Thank you for your help and, if anyone is interested, I'll post the finished product.

Donna

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I can't help you directly--our application is 4 pages, and pretty specific to our business--but I can give you a few tips.

First: be sure you have an employment lawyer review your finished product before you start to use it, to be absolutely certain there is nothing prejudicial OR illegal in the app.

Second: Resist the temptation to include blank lines for the applicant to "add any other information you feel is relevant to your application"--most of the time, what they add is not only irrelevant, but is information you *really* don't want to know: marital status, numbers & ages of children, disability, etc. In fact (although our corporate app does not have this), if I were creating an app, there would be a notice that providing any information not specifically requested will invalidate the application. Companies have been sued because an applicant included protected information (one example that comes to mind is membership in a union or the fact the applicant was a union organizer), and used that fact as a basis for a discrimination suit.

Whew--long-winded answer, but I hope you consider these items.