religion and prayer

A few employees have requested a group prayer before a company luncheon or holiday meal, etc. In the past we have allowed a silent moment only.

We have music throughout our facility and rotate music daily, country, hit list, etc. Employees have requested a religious music station should be in the mix. Some have gone so far as to say that some of the music topics are offensive based on their religious beliefs. We have banned any stations that play music with inappropriate language, but now that are saying it is the topic, ex. cheating spouses, etc.

What should be allowed? How do other companies handle these issues?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Wow! This is one of the more challenging items that I have seen. I think your response is first of all, based on what regulations say, followed by recognizing the diverse workplace of today.

Assuming that you have 15 employees ( 5 for us in California under state regs) you are required to accomodate to a persons religious preference if you can do so without undue hardship. I have a hunch (subject to confirmation or correction by counsel) that music and prayer groups before work due not rise to the level of requiring accomodation. I base that on the opinion that the religion probably doesn't require that the adherents listen to religious music during the day nor have prayer groups before work and that these are really personal preferences.

I think that you must start with education. With the diverse workplace that we have today and the more diverse that we become we bring different religions to the workplace along with the people. Maybe engaging the employees in some sort of dialogue will help them see that one persons religious preference will be offensive to others and that we all must accomodate in the interest of maintaining the good of the whole. Diversity issues are more than just race and sex.

• I've encountered employees wanting to have a group prayer prior to the start of their work day and they've been encouraged to do so prior to clocking in or reporting to duty. The suggestion for a prayer b/4 a company sponsored lunch, is also ok if that's consistent with the employers values, mission and culture. I believe the employer can refuse to provide this type of activity for the reasons Gillian explained. Religious accommodation is based on bona fide issues vs. personal preferences and the courts have consistently said that the workplace is not a pristene environment. I think Gillian's suggestion for some type of dialogue has alot of merit and will demonstrate your comittment to the diversity issue.
  • Be sure in your dialog to question these employees as to the type and nature of the "group prayer" that should be involved. Should it be Hindu, Muslim, Moslem, Greek Orthodox, Roman Catholic, Evangelical Protestant, or Unitarian. We have all of these "faith" groupings, and more, represented in our community. If we engage in Hindu prayer, won't that offend some groups? And if we restrict group prayer to a Catholic benediction, that would offend others, especialliy the Evangelical Protestants and Greek Orthodox.

Since the practice of group prayer is based upon the assumption that the "group" involved is of a single faith or theological mindset, the practice of group prayer in a work setting is best left to individual preferences, not employer sanctions. While I am personally an Evangelical Christian Charismatic, I do not expect others to join me in my personal actions of faith and service. Likewise, I do not want to feel compelled to add credence to another "faith" through engaging in it's devotional practices.