Callback Policy

We have a callback policy used primarily by maintenance personnel which states if an employee is called in outside his regular shift time he will be paid a minimum of 4 hours at regular pay. The actual time worked during the callback goes toward overtime.

We recently had a situation where an employee was onsite working his regular shift, had just clocked out, and and was on his way to the parking lot and was called back for repair a machine. He claims since he had already clocked out, he should be compensated for a callback. I do not think this is the intent of the policy.

Does anyone have a callback policy they are willing to share that addresses the above issue?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-15-08 AT 03:18PM (CST)[/font][br][br]To be eligible for call back pay here, you must have "physically left the property."
    We would not pay your ee if he was ours.
  • As your policy defines call back as "called in outside of the employee's regular shift" (based on your statement above); I think the employee has a valid argument. Of course, as the employer's representative I might dispute that interpretation, but have to admit the policy is not clear on what "outside of the regular shift" means.

Are you clear in your mind at what point after the employee clocks out you would consider the employee called back? If the employee was in his car, but still in the company's parking lot, would that be a call back? If the employee was in his car, but outside of the parking lot, would that be a call back?

All this is to say, without a specific definition of terms, the employee's interpretation is arguably correct.