Police Chief Exempt

Is a police chief an exempt employee? His duties are primarily managerial. He thinks he should get comp time, but I think it is part of his work week duties.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • To answer this question, one would need to know the exact duties performed, the amount of time spent on each duty and the number of employees supervised. With FLSA, you should never make a status decision based on the job title. Having said that, based on the duties that most Police Chiefs perform, I would think a Police Chief is exempt.
  • I checked here and our Chief of Police is exempt. Of course I am sure the job duties could be very different from one city to another.
  • I agree with the others. . Do the tests. .Our Chief is exempt and I would imagine in most cases a Chief would be. Our City prohibts comp. time. We did recently revise our policies to state that in the time of a declared emergency exempt employees would be paid overtime. This was largely d/t the Chiefs who during the last hurricane worked a zillion hours straight. More than you wanted to know, I'm sure.