Holiday pay for weekend worker

We have one employee that works a 12 hour shift on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. This 36 hours is considered full time and this employee is eligible for 7 days of Holiday each year. If the holiday falls on one of these three days, this employee wants off, but someone else in the company needs to work in their place, causing a 40 hour per week employee to have to work the holiday. The weekend employee signed on to work the three day schedule but we are having a hard time trying to figure out what to do about paying or letting the employee take time off for holidays.

Since we are trying to create a fair policy on this, does anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I am not sure that I understand your question so therefore may not be any help. However, here goes.
    As far as paying the 3 day/36 hour employee holiday time...
    When you say he is eligible for 7 days of holiday pay, do you mean "like other employees" of 7 days x 8 hours or do you mean 7 days x 12 hours?
    If he is to be paid holiday time as other employees, I would base it on hours, not days. This way he can take 12 hours holiday time when he is out, which is what he would normally be paid.
    Just determien total number of hours that "normal" people are paid. If 7 days x 8 hours= 56 hrs per year. Then he will be eligible for 56 hours (or if you want to get technical 56 hours x 90% since works 36/40ths= 50 hours). Then you have to decide whether he will be eligible for holiday pay on actual holidays or if you want it to "float". I don't have recommendation on how to "fill his job when out" if it is one of a kind job. However, you may want to see if you have any 5 day a week/40 hour employees that are interested in extra pay and may be have 2 of these fill in (6 hours a day each) or have 2 that will alternate 12 hours a day each so you don't impose on one too much. However, I don't think you can require it of the "normal" employee, just do it as an extra income stream for them. They could take a day off earlier in the week that they might work on weekends or just pay them more/overtime for the week worked more. Hope this helps.
    E Wart