Part time status

I am a FT HR Administrator and my boss is looking for me to start training for the HR Manager position. My concern is the flexibility I have now, I work 40 hours but I do a split shift. Does anyone know if there are part time HR Managers? If so, are they salaried or hourly?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You work 40 hours now, but when you take the HR Manager position you want to work less than 40?

I'm sure there are part-time HR Managers. It would be an exempt position. If it were me, I would pay a salary and deal with "you're not putting in enough hours" issues with discipline, not pay.

I think that is where you are going with the question. If not let, me know.
  • I am also not sure what you mean. I am CFO and HR Director. One way to look at this is that I am part-time in both positions, (although I seem to put in enough hours to be near full-time at both). But as Stephen indicated, either position would be exempt in a stand alone capacity, so neither would be paid hourly.
  • I agree with SMace. Why would would an exempt person not have flexibility in their job? Exempt positions have more flexibility than part time. Essentially a part timer is giving up a lot in benefits and salary just to get that same flexibility as an exempt manager has.
  • The reason I had asked was because our boss is a very strict. She is not flexible at all with salaried Team Members. She wants you to put in 40+ hours, but has a problem when you have to leave early every once in a while. It's not only me she does it to the rest of her group. We all hate it.

A~
  • I sometimes take things granted. I have always had freedom over my schedule, mostly because I take responsibility to make sure the work is done - if that means an all nighter or working all weekend, then that is what it means. It also means if I am done Friday morning at 9:00, I can leave.

I am the same with my staff. If they are not self starters, they should not be working for me. I don't want people that need me to constantly look over their shoulders. I make sure they understand the basic mission statement of our company and our department and that they understand our basic "customer service" hours and requirements. Add in special projects and deadlines - then turn them loose. If they are empowered, they will get the job done. If they don't, then more training or tools until I find out if it is them or the job. If it is them - they will move on. If it is something else, then fix it. But exempt staff have the freedom and the responsibility to do their jobs.

If they are consistently working less than a "standard" week, then it is up to me to make sure they have more to do so the company gets it's money's worth.