hand written timesheets vs timeclock

We are a small company of only 12 hourly employees. We have been using manual timehseets since I started 9 years ago. I would like to see a pc based timeclock that will be more efficient in tracking hours etc. We have two offices so this would be something everyone can access on the network at their own pc. When this came up about 2 years ago the hourly people became very upset that we were going to switch to automated timeclock and their excuse was that we dont trust them anymore so we dropped it at that point. Has anyone had this same issue. if so how did you implement it on a positive note?
Thanks!

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We have looked at this issue but stopped short of buying the software, but only because it was expensive (we are a non-profit), and not all of our EEs have access to PC's.

But I like the idea of automated time processing with respect to calculations of time worked, overtime, tardiness, etc. Some sort of consistent tracking mechanism is necessary if you are going to enforce absenteeism and tardiness issues. The way it is now, who knows if someone was 30 minutes late or left early? If you get the software, everyone is following the same set of rules.

Tell them it is not a matter of trust, it is a matter of accuracy and efficiency.
  • We are looking at automated time also. The reaction here is the same. Employees believe it's a matter of trust, and frankly, sometimes it is. Automated time would be nice. We compared the expense against the manual time and manually is still cheaper. We have about 120 employees. The only positive way to implement a timeclock would be to install it first in administration. We'd have to sell the idea of efficiency first.

Good luck.

• When hourly people resist having automated time clocks because they say the company doesn't "trust" them, there might be a good reason for this - they simply don't want their time scrutinized. At the very least, the efficiency is increased.

We recently went with the KRONOS timekeeping system with the thumb recognition imprint and it has worked out well, with the capability of adding more segments to it as we grow. We have eliminated someone having to print out and distribute paper time sheets to 350 employees at six locations. This, in itself, was enough of an incentive to go "auto".

I'd say pursue it.
  • >When hourly people resist having automated time
    >clocks because they say the company doesn't
    >"trust" them, there might be a good reason for
    >this - they simply don't want their time
    >scrutinized. At the very least, the efficiency
    >is increased.
    >
    >We recently went with the KRONOS timekeeping
    >system with the thumb recognition imprint and it
    >has worked out well, with the capability of
    >adding more segments to it as we grow. We have
    >eliminated someone having to print out and
    >distribute paper time sheets to 350 employees at
    >six locations. This, in itself, was enough of an
    >incentive to go "auto".
    >
    >I'd say pursue it.

• There is no easy sell for us. We implemented anyway. The benefits outweigh the complaints. We could run reports, that we would spend hours or even days on in a flash.

I found the biggest critics were those who sneak in 5 minutes late, take long breaks and leave early.

It's not about trust, its about taking full advantage of the technology available. With all of the downsizing and job eliminations, its working smarter with fewer resources.