Rest Periods

In the state of Minnesota, what are the requirements regarding rest periods such as breaks and lunch breaks?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I'm not an expert on Mn law but last time I looked I think you had to give some time to eat a meal if work goes at least 8 hours, and time every 4 hours to use the restroom. For anyone looking at this post I also have a question. Does anyone see any way around paying for a 15 minute break, even if it is at the specific request of the ee to have a smoke? My er doesn't grant breaks, but would be willing to permit a short un-paid break. I don't see how that can be permitted under the federal rules.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-06-03 AT 08:03AM (CST)[/font][p]Breaks of 20 minutes or less are considered as hours worked and must be paid. Meal periods of at least 30 minutes are unpaid. Employers are not required by law to give breaks, however, ee's must be allowed adequate time within each four hour period to use the nearest restroom, and allow an unpaid break for meals if the ee is working for eight or more consecutive hours. Nursing mothers must also be allowed unpaid breaks to express breast milk.
  • MN only requires employers to allow sufficient time to eat a meal if an EE works 8 hours or more. The ER must also allow the EE adequate time from work every 4 hours to use the restroom. Breaks less than 20 mins may not be deducted from their hours. Another area to keep in mind is that no rest period/break may be deducted from hours worked in cases where the EE is not entirely free from their work responsibilities. We ran into this with people eating lunch at their desks especially the receptionist.