How Long Must An Employee Work Before We Ask Them To Take Lunch?

Hello everyone,
Is there is a time frame on how many hours an employee must work before they are allowed to take their lunch break. Some of our employees have asked to take later lunches but before making any changes, I need your assistance.

Here's an example:

In a Call Center Environment (Atlanta, GA) an employee comes to work at 6:00 AM their 30 minute lunch break has been scheduled for 10:00 AM. Because this employee has now worked 4 hours are we required to schedule lunch or can they take lunch at 11:30 AM or 12 noon or later.

I hope I've explained this clearly, if not please let me know.

I would love to hear your thoughts.

Thank You

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The laws vary from state to state. Check your state laws.
  • Greetings, cjacobs,
    Amazingly, Georgia lunch breaks were the topic of their very own (albeit short) stream of discussion on this website a while back. Looking over that brief discussion may not answer your question directly but may get you a little closer. To find it, go to the "search" function at the bottom left of this screen and type in "Georgia lunch break." I hope others will chime in with more info, too. Good luck. tk

Tony Kessler, director of editorial
    M. Lee Smith Publishers LLC
    (615) 661-0294 ext. 8068
    [email]tkessler@mleesmith.com[/email]
  • I think you will find that it is within your discretion to allow people to jockey their lunch break around. I suggest that it should always meet with supervisory approval and can be within parameters, say...anytime between 9:30 and 11:30, given your hours. I also suggest that the employees not have full discretion to change it around daily or without supervisory knowledge and consent. I'd also recommend written, posted schedules.

I've also seen employees and groups attempt to work the lunch system by telling the supervisor they are tacking their break onto their lunch time or taking lunch at the end of the shift. But, if the suggestion seems half way reasonable I would recommend going along with the employee for the sake of morale as long as the work group or customer service doesn't suffer in any way.