ARGH!!!

I have tried in vain to explain to our executive director that it is beyond all logic to have all employees who are classified as exempt. His belief is that because we pay everyone a salary and don't dock their pay for leaving early, they are exempt. I have even had our employment law attorney review the job descriptions in question to give her opinion on the exempt/non-exempt status and she concurs with me. We are a performing arts organization, so 10 months out of the year we have certain employees who work above and beyond our normal 35 hour week. Two months out of the year we are able to leave early or close for an afternoon.
The executive director did just say that he would want to hear the attorney's opinion for himself, but he doesn't see the need to change how we've done things.
Short of calling the DOL myself, which would result in more of a financial hit than just trying to staighten this all out ourselves, I'm at a loss as to how to fix this problem. We are a not-for-profit organization and like many non-profits we have had financial difficulties the past two years. I certainly don't want to see us sink. I'd rather try to resolve this now on our own.

Comments