Public Sector Comp Time

Can anyone tell me chapter and verse that states public police and fire employees can accumulate up to 240 hours compensatory time..... and that a normal work week is 42 hours..

Tks.

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • that comes from 29 USC 207:

(k) Employment by public agency engaged in fire protection or law enforcement activities

No public agency shall be deemed to have violated subsection (a) of this section with respect to the employment of any employee in fire protection activities or any employee in law enforcement activities (including security personnel in correctional institutions) if -

(1)

in a work period of 28 consecutive days the employee receives for tours of duty which in the aggregate exceed the lesser of

(A)

216 hours, or

(B)

the average number of hours (as determined by the Secretary pursuant to section 6(c)(3) of the Fair Labor Standards Amendments of 1974) in tours of duty of employees engaged in such activities in work periods of 28 consecutive days in calendar year 1975; or

(2)

in the case of such an employee to whom a work period of at least 7 but less than 28 days applies, in his work period the employee receives for tours of duty which in the aggregate exceed a number of hours which bears the same ratio to the number of consecutive days in his work period as 216 hours (or if lower, the number of hours referred to in clause (B) of paragraph (1)) bears to 28 days,

compensation at a rate not less than one and one-half times the regular rate at which he is employed.

To get the full information on how this is implemented, you will need to look at the regulations (in the code of federal regulations) -- which talkes about the comp time issues (maximum accural and requirements). I have helped develop these policies in the past, and I find that it is not easy to do so without looking at the regulations.

Good Luck!