Extraordinary amount of Earned Comp Tim

We have an exempt employee whose work is so diversified, that she in essence has three supervisors. As such, one supervisor doesn't have a complete feel for the totality of her work. She turns in extraordinary amounts of compensatory time each month for attending workshops and reading regulations that pertain to her position. She is very skilled in her expertise and is an asset to us. However, does anyone have any suggestions on how we can keep her compensatory time within reasonable limits? We of course have a maximum accumulation with extensions if approved by the Executive Director. There is no way, even with the extension, that she would ever be able to use the comp time within the extension. I suggested coming up with parameters to allow for so many workshops per year, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We don't allow exempt level employees to accrue "comp" time. According to our labor attorneys, this negates their exempt status because they are being compensated in time and thats the same as payment in the eyes of the law. There are some exceptoins, i.e, public sector employees and firemen and police men, but they have limits on their accruals.

You may want to check with your labor attorney about the laws on this in your state.
  • It is my understanding from a seminar I attended that comp time IS permissible for exempt employees, but not for non-exempt or hourly employees. Can someone please set the record straight via referring me to the statute that states the correct ruling?