Any int'l freight forwarders, logistics, or travel agencies out there?

We're looking at redoing our job descriptions, pay grades and auditing the wonderful area of who really should be exempt in our company. The latter point appears to be abused heavily in our industry. I'm looking for others in my industry who are willing to share their practices and able to compare apples to apples. Anybody out there? Thanks

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I am in manufacturing, so I can't "share" my apple with you. But, I would like to point out that according to the FLSA [u][b]everyone[/u][/b] is nonexempt unless exempted by the pay, authority and responsibilities of the position.
    You probably will encounter some resistance to changing previous exempts to nonexempts because the working populaton considers being exempt as higher status and it is just plain easier to pay a set weekly salary without regard to overtime. Thus, your industry is no exception, a lot of businesses misclassify their positions and get away with it.... until a disgruntled employee complains to the DOL!! How high is your risk?

• Lori: I once worked for one of the nation's largest refrigerated carriers with domestic as well as international activities and containerized cargo. The place had 2500 employees and was notorious for misclassifying people as exempt. Maybe its the mentality in the industry if you experience the same. I would estimate that 40 to 50% of the employees were misclassified as exempt when their duties and responsibilities did not support the classification. And this was 10 years after a rather large total review by DOL and the payment of many, many OT checks. There's an apple that I used to have, but no longer do.