Pay based on a Daily Rate

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-24-02 AT 01:32PM (CST)[/font][p]Actually I am looking for information about pay based on a "WEEKLY RATE".
My mistake.

I have an exempt employee who will be going to partime (2 days a week) in August. Her partime position will be in the same area but her responsiblities will be greatly reduced. Sometimes her position requires her to be her for 10 to 12 hours a day, sometimes only 4 or 5 hours a day. I am trying to find information on paying someone a "Weekly Rate" for work instead of an hourly rate. I know I have seen this type of pay. We used to have a position that used this but that was 12 years ago. Can it still be done? Can anyone tell me where I can get more information about it?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Since you said this person's responsibilities are being cut as well as the hours required, you should first make sure that the new job responsibilities still qualify for exempt status.

If they do, then you are free to reduce the weekly salary (as long as it doesn't go below the amount required to retain exempt status) to whatever you want. Exempt salary is presumable based on the work performed, and not the number of hours worked.
  • Based on your statement that her responsibilities will be greatly reduced, I believe that she would become nonexempt and should be paid for the hours she works. She is not exempt and she is not contract.