Adjusting Employee's Timeclock punches

Some employees have been punching out past their regularly scheduled time of work which by the end of the week can lead to overtime. Meetings have been held with the employees to discuss this issue and the importance of clocking out on time and notifying a supervisor if they must work past their schedule to complete a task. However, some employees continue to socialize in the work place after work hours on company time. Supervisors have been adjusting time punches to reflect their regularly scheduled 8 hours of work and 1 hour lunch. Is this allowable under FLSA even if a company policy is in place and employees have been warned?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I wouldn't manipulate any employee's time clock punches. I would bring the offenders in once again and state to them that they have been counseled about working "unauthorized" overtime and if they persist in continuing this, it will be grounds for dismissal. If they value their jobs, this should put an end to it.

You don't want to get in hot water with DOL and this is a sure fire way to do it - by changing time to appear to avoid paying overtime (even though this is not the case).

• Amen, Rockie!

There's a good discussion of unauthorized overtime in Chapter 5 of our HR Executive Special Report "Defusing the Overtime Bomb: How to Comply with the FLSA." Free to Law Center members, $47 for others.
    [url]http://www.hrhero.com/special.shtml[/url]

James Sokolowski
    Senior Editor
    M. Lee Smith Publishers
  • I have to say these Executive Reports are wonderful tools. They simplify very complicated matters and bring them down to a level where supervisors can understand. I have been able to use this information in supervisory training. Thanks for all the hard work on these!