Incentives for Low Wage Workers

I was recently in a discussion involving the extreme turnover rate of janitorial positions. This particular facility is located in the heart of a large city, so there is a lot of employment competition with hotels, etc.

The standard pay rate is above minimum wage, but there are typically no benefits and little room for advancement. Our discussion centered around possible incentives to encourage employees against moving from job to job for a few cents per hour increase.

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Good morning!

Here are a couple of suggestions that I hope might help.

1) This sounds obvious but be sure to ask the employees why they are leaving or why they would leave. Sit down with your current crew and ask them specifically what would cause them to leave and what would make them stay. You might be very suprised at the answers.

2) A janitor, like many jobs, does not get alot of the glory. However, it is just as important for janitors to feel a part of a team as it is for the rest of your staff. Consider bringing in your janitors during office hours and introducing them to the rest of your staff. Encourage your staff to thank the janitors for their work. Talk to the janitors and help them see how their work is an important part of the big picture - and always include them in staff functions.

3. If turnover continues to be high, you might want to look at whether the cost of continuously recruiting and replacing new janitors is higher than raising their wage or adding some benefits.

My favorite book on retaining staff is called "Love em or Lose em" by Beverly Kaye and Sharon Jordan-Evans.

I also have notes from a workshop on retention tips that I would be happy to share with you if you e-mail me your mailing address. My e-mail is [email]paulknoch@hotmail.com[/email]

Good luck!