Death Records

Several years ago we merged with another company and, with this merger, we acquired their defined benefit plans. Benefits are being paid to numerous participants in various locations. We do not have personal contact with these participants so we depend upon a relative to advise us when a participant dies so we can adjust or stop their benefit. Many of these participants elected to have a straight life benefit payable during their lifetime with no benefit payable to a surviving spouse. There may be the possibility that a participant is deceased and we have not been advised of this; therefore, the pension checks continue. Many receive their checks via direct deposit into their accounts and if their accounts remain open, we would not be advised that a death has occurred.

Does anyone have a suggested method of checking to insure that a participant is still alive so the monthly benefit is still legitimate?

Does Social Security have a website that can be accessed to determine if a death has occurred?

Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • KIZZIE: Do you have some dooziers! I would send all direct deposit accounts with a special notice for verification of address information and other data that you have on the retiree. I would send it by registered and return receipt required mail. I would contact my local SSA office and seek an appointment with the office manager to discuss your concerns.

I am a Military Retiree and every year I have to validate that I am still alive and kicking and that the data they have on me is correct. All of this is done under my signature.

My mother is 90 years old and she is a spouse of my father, also a military retiree (deceased). In her case I am the appointed guardian and I have to also verify that she is still alive and entitled to her continue annuity.

This being told is to point out that if the government can do it there should be no reason why a private employer could not do the same thing. Once you get the signature back from the returned receipt you should compare it to the signature you have on file for that retiree.

Now, proceed to validate those retirees that do not match signatures. The SSA is a good source to help you with your concerns. That is one reason that companies that could are going to 401K type of retirement systems because the chase was difficult. Even the Defense Department and SSA have this same problem. Checks keep rolling to the dead without a missed beat if nothing happens to adjust the computers brains.

PORK