Letter of Coverage to previous employer

The "other" employer (his current part-time and previous full-time employer)of a new employee has requested a letter from HR...the following is a copy of his request:

"talked with my other employer and they stated that they will need a letter about my new coverage before they will cancel my insurance. If you could get me a letter for that I would greatly appreciate it."

I am not sure what he is needing. He told me that his other employer said I should know what this letter is. I feel so inadequate for not knowing (wink). I am relatively new to the HR arena. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I have had employees request similiar letters. Some employers I have worked for in the past would not allow employees to drop coverage until they were satisfied that coverage would be provided. I usually get the most requests for these letters during open enrollment. Here is a sample of what I have recently sent:

January 28, 2005

To whom it may concern:

RE:

, Inc. is currently conducting its 2005 open enrollment for health benefits. This open enrollment period will conclude close of business on January 31, 2005. This is the only time when employee’s can add their spouse/dependents without the spouse/dependent experiencing a qualifying event.

The effective date of the coverage will be February 1, 2005.

Should you have any questions, please contact me at the number above.

Sincerely

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-26-05 AT 06:50PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Some plans do not allow changes, including dropping insurance, except at certain times, unless there are qualifying events. Perhaps the carrier needs to know that he has another policy covering him and that will satisfy their policy's rule. I'd send the letter or give it to him addressed to "To Whom It May Concern".
  • I have had this recently (especially with someone with COBRA.) Just say Joe Smith is an employee of xyz Company. He became eligible (which should be when his waiting period began, if any) for our group insurance benefits on his hire date, January 1, 2005. His medical/dental/life insurance elections took affect on 4/1/05. If you have any questions or need any information, please contact me.
    No big deal or big secret. Just a formality. (Sort of like HIPAA in reverse.)
    E Wart