Another COBRA dependents question

I noticed lots of people looked at my question, but no one answered. Maybe I should ask a different one.

Can terminating employees elect COBRA for their dependents only and not for themselves? Would you expect that would affect the duration of COBRA? I can't find any info on that and I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks!
-Half HR

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Half HR -
    I went to DOL website listed below and recieved this info for you.
    Qualified Beneficiaries - A qualified beneficiary generally is an individual covered by a group health plan on the day before a qualifying event who is either an employee, the employee's spouse, or an employee's dependent child. In addition, any child born to or placed for adoption with a covered employee during the period of COBRA coverage is considered a qualified beneficiary.

Qualifying Events for Dependent Children:

Loss of dependent child status under the plan rules

Voluntary or involuntary termination of the covered employee's employment for any reason other than gross misconduct

Reduction in the hours worked by the covered employee

Covered employee's becoming entitled to Medicare

Divorce or legal separation of the covered employee

Death of the covered employee

COBRA beneficiaries generally are eligible for group coverage during a maximum of 18 months for qualifying events due to employment termination or reduction of hours of work. Certain qualifying events, or a second qualifying event during the initial period of coverage, may permit a beneficiary to receive a maximum of 36 months of coverage.

Hope it helps if not try the website.

[url]www.dol.gov[/url]
  • Termination of employment, alone, provides the ability for a qualified beneficiary dependent child to carry COBRA coverage for up to 18 months.
  • I asked our carrier this a few months ago because we had an employee leave for a new position that did not offer dependent coverage. They told me that the children are qualified beneficiaries. The oldest child becomes the 'subscriber' and the younger children are his/her dependents. They qualify for 18 months of continuation coverage.

Anne in Ohio
  • The dependent children, if covered under the plan on the day before the qualifying event, are qualified beneficiaries, and have separate and independent rights to 18 months of COBRA continuation, if the event is termination or reduction in hours. I have never heard that the oldest child is the "subscriber" (HMO speak), and the younger ones are his/her dependents. I do not believe this is correct.
  • This is what the carrier told me. Since the ex-ee did not elect the continuation coverage, I don't know if that's how it would have played out or not. And how it's handled may depend on the plan provider's policy.

Anne in Ohio
  • I doesn't matter if the ex-employee elects COBRA; all qualified beneficiaries have a separate and independent right to COBRA continuation. All plans and providers of coverage must comply with COBRA rules and regulations. They don't have a whole lot of discretion where COBRA is concerned.