Benefits for Permanent Part-Time Employees

Our permanent part-time employees receive pro-rated benefits from practically all of our benefits programs including participation in 401(k) plan with employer contributions; healthcare, dental, and vision insurance; holidays, vacation, and sick leave; educational assistance; employer-paid life, STD, and LTD insurance. They get bonuses, for goodness sake--but they want more!!! Would anyone share with me their employer's policy about benefits for permanent part-time employees? Thanks.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • They are fortunate. We offer no benefits to part timers other than a small Holiday bonus.
  • I've seen many employers who provide no benefits for workers below a certain threshold - sometimes 20 hrs/wk, sometimes 30 hrs/wk - with prorated benefits above that. The 30 hrs provision usually dovetails with health insurers' limits on who they'll cover.

Brad Forrister
    Director of Publishing
    M. Lee Smith Publishers

• I work for a city government in Tennessee and we have 5 Permanent Part-time employees, who are eligible for benefits. All of these are considered to be 25 hour per week employees, so some benefits are fairly simple. A holiday would be paid 5 hours, one week's vacation would equal 25 hours pay, two weeks equals 50 hours pay and so on. Other benefits are pro-rated. For instance, a full time 40 hour week employee is eligible for 8 hours sick leave per month, a PPT gets 5 hours per month. Health insurance wise, we pay 100% for employee only coverage for FT employees. The PPT employee gets 62.5% of the premium paid for (25/40) leaving the PPT with 37.5% for their share. None of our PPTs have chosen family coverage, but if they did that also would be pro-rated. The STD benefits would still equal 60% of the base pay, but the PPT employee's 25 hour pay week would be the basis for the calculation. Life insurance is 1.5 times the annual salary (25 hours pay x 52 weeks), plus $5,000. Dental insurance is an optional benefit for all employees, so PPTs would pay 100% of the premium. We offer them the right to participate in our 401(k) pension plan, and we contribute 3% of their 25 hour pay week and will match up to 3% of their contribution, also up to their 25 hour pay level. That's all I can think of for now. Let me know if I missed something.
  • Our part-timers receive no benefits except holiday pay if they were scheduled to work that day & Christmas bonus... Looks like yours have a pretty good deal!

P.S. I sure hate to see the word "permanent" coming up describing ee's!
  • We also give these benefits to employees who work at least 30 hours per week. Those between 20 & 30 hours get vacation, holidays, sick days and 401k. They do not get "insurance plans" because these require 30 hours to be eligible. You are being generous. I don't know what else you could give them. Maybe it's time to tell someone to look for a job somewhere else that gives them what they are looking for. You are a business, in the business of making money. More benefits does not make more money for the firm. It has to stop somewhere. You are not a bottomless pit of money.