COBRA notices

When an employee with no other QBs (spouse, dependents)terminates, I schedule an exit interview and go over the COBRA letter and election notice with the employee, giving him/her the original, keeping a copy and having the ee sign an ackowledgement that the material was received. Of course, if someone terminates suddenly or has other QBs, the information goes by mail. Is this acceptable practice?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • That's how we use to do it, but now in addition to all that I send everything in the mail. I was told that if you didn't send it first class mail you can get in to trouble. I was also told to keep a spreadsheet of who I sent the notices to, what address I used, the date I sent it, who sent it, and how it was sent. It's better to be safe than sorry.

• We work with "consistency" as one of the top principles, and with that in mind, since you can not sit down with every terminated employee, we stick to the first class, proof of mailing, method. Since you must mail to the address when there are other QB, then we mail for everyone.

I am not sure if the is adddressed in the regulations, but this is what we have learned from seminars and feel that it is a good practice.