New Social Security Laws?

I am starting to get inquiries from employees about the additional months
the social security system says they have to work in order to get "full social
security benefits". For someone born in 1939 the social security
administration says that person has to work till age 65 plus two months. To your knowledge has this changed? What if they were born in 1942? Is this the same for medicare? Does anyone know anything about this? Please enlighten me if you do!

Thanks a bunch!!

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You might want to try looking at the Social Security website. It has a lot of great information on it. Rather than answer the employee's questions yourself, they can probably either email or call the social security administration to find out the information. This will stop you from worrying about whether the information you are giving them is correct.

Good Luck.
  • Theresa's advice is correct. For your information, though, nothing has changed. There is a sliding scale depending on year of birth. I don't know what the requirement is for full SS when the year of birth is 1942. I do know that it is 65 and 6 months if the year of birth is 1940.
  • I was shocked a couple of years ago to see that my 'full retirement age' is no longer 65 as I had always thought. In that respect "SOMETHING HAS CHANGED". The feds in their wisdom, due to ineffective juggling of the "protected" SS Fund, have changed the law to put the sliding scale in place, thereby monkeying with what you thought would be your full benefit at a retirement age of 65. Gillian knows the precise date the camper departs for Mexico - I guarantee it! But so do I.
  • Go to [url]www.ssa.gov[/url] online, click on Retirement under Benefits Information and you will get the full scope and yes retirement ages are different but this is not a really recent change. 1939 retirements must work until 64=4 mo. now.
    Year of Birth
    Note: Persons born on January 1 of any year should refer to the previous year.

1937 or earlier 65

1938 65 and 2 months

1939 65 and 4 months

1940 65 and 6 months

1941 65 and 8 months

1942 65 and 10 months

1943--1954 66

1955 66 and 2 months

1956 66 and 4 months

1957 66 and 6 months

1958 66 and 8 months

1959 66 and 10 months