Vacation accrual

I'm revising our vacation benefit. Here in Iowa there is no mandated accrual for benefits. I am thinking about stating in our policy that EE must be a full-time active EE on a certain date to qualify for any vacation benefits. I'd appreciate hearing from someone in Indiana and Minnesota regarding accrual regulation in those states because we have facilities there also. Thanks.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Vacation time is a gift, you can do what ever you want!
  • Check your state laws. Although vacation is not a mandated benefit, if you grant vacation, you can't always do whatever you want. I like the way we handle it here in California -- an employee starts accruing from their date of hire, so after a year they will have accrued 2 weeks (goes up to 3 weeks at 5 years, 4 weeks at 10 years, and 5 weeks at 20 years). At any time they can take whatever they have accrued. They can also carry vacation over as long as they don't go over their vacation accrual cap which is set at 1 week beyond their accrual rate (so they can accrue up to 3 weeks during the first 1-4 years, up to 4 weeks after 5-9 years, etc. It is clean and easy to administer.