Maternity Leave Policy Paid

I was wondering if any one had a sample of a "paid" maternity leave policy that they could forward to me. Our company is 100 employees and does offer FMLA, but were are considering offering some sort of paid maternity leave. I appreciate any help.

Thanks!
Katrina

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Interesting. I look forward to an attorney's response.
  • Will this encompass Dad as well as Mom?
  • I would gladly fax you what we have. It's a bit long, but it's what our attorney approved.
  • Sally: Your attorney approved an exclusive paid leave policy applicable to females only or is there a male counterside to the policy? I'm serious; this sounds potentially like the reverse of the days when our insurance policies paid only $300 for maternity but was not capped for male illnesses.
  • Don:
    It's maternity & paternity leave.
  • I guess I am wondering why you would single "maternity" as different from any other temporary illness or disability and give additional leave for this? (Does your state mandate this?) Seems the employees with other issues/illnesses and the males in your company would be up in arms about this.
  • I am glad to see I am not the only one opposed to "maternity" leave policies. How can you have paid leave for someone who may or may not have chosen to have a child, and not something for males who are unlucky enough to get prostate cancer, or females who need a hysterectomy, or any serious illness for that matter? We had a huge battle here a few years back that still rages from time to time over whether or not we are being unfair to the females who are able to bear children by not giving them paid leave. As a female, I think they are sending the wrong message by wanting it both ways, "treat me equally but treat me differently". Boy, I feel better now.
  • Whew! Thanks Fran! I was feeling pretty lonely out there on the tip of the gang-plank with Rockie. Glad you joined in! Pardon my French, but, I would certainly be the one to raise hell if my female co-worker got paid leave for pregnancy and I didn't for a temporary 6-7 week illness of my own.
  • The EEOC does look at this as sex discrimination. Of course, the EEOC's interpretations of law aren't law. Nevertheless, it is far more prudent to make this a temporary disability leave or, alternatively, a parental leave policy that treats the sexes equally. It is blatantly illegal to have a temporary disability leave that excludes pregnancy. It seems to follow that that a temporary disability leave that excludes everything but pregnancy would also be problematic....
  • The EEOC's solution is that you should have two separate policies: one for medical/short term disability leave (which treats pregnancy and childbirth-related medical conditions the same as any other medical condition), and another for for parental leave (which applies equally to men and women). Another option, of course, is to simply make all FMLA leave paid leave, but that may be cost prohibitive and is subject to abuse.
  • we usually advise that instead of the policy being entitled "maternity leave", that a policy dealing with leave for non-work related incapacity be used. it covers moms and dads for childbirth and others for non-work related conditions. some businesses make it available pre-FMLA (after 6 months of employment) and some use it as a supplement to FMLA.