Vacation Accruals

Just looking for some general information as to what standards are for vacation: such as first year (when the accrual rate goes up 3rd year, 5th year and then the next tier - 10th year, etc.)

Also, what would be your maximum accruals?

How many of you use a separate sick leave from vacation and how many use PTO.

I am looking at a company that gives 10 days first year and then 15 days years 5-15 and then does not bump up again until year 15 at which time they give 15 days. I think this is inadequate and feel they should bump each category 5 days to be attractive to quality applicants.

I would be intersted to know what some of you give for vacation time and the different breakouts.

Thanks.

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • WE have a separate system, (SL, VT) but are moving toward a PTO system

Maximum accrual on vacation is 400 hours

1-5 years=80 hours, every year thereafter you get one more day to a maxium at 20 or more years of 160 hours

Sick leave is accrued at 3 hours per pay (72 hours per year) with an option to cash out up to 56 hours per year or roll them over to be used as ST or paid out at termination.

Hope this helps.

• Our system is 5 days after six months, 10 days per year after 1 year of employment, 15 days after 5 years, and 20 days after 10 years.
    Sick leave is earned at 1 day per month, maxing out at 30 days.

• We have 80 hours after 1 year and 120 hours after 5 years. 90% of our employees work a 4 day work week and that is why we use hours instead of days. The vacation time is a "use it or lose it" situation.

We have a combination sick/personal accrual. Employees earn 4 hours per month for a total of 48 hours per year. If these days are not used, they are paid out the first pay of the following year.

There has been talk about an additional 40 hours after 10 years, but so far that's all it is, talk. Being a small manufacturing company, less than 100 employees, it may be a big impact on production scheduling.
  • Our vacation accrual is the same as Sally above. Our sick time though is only 5 days per year. (but we offer STD and payout unused time at the end of each year). We do not combine vac and sick because that triggers unique issues under Illinois law. In Illinois, a combined PTO type of bank is just viewed as all vacation time. We would thus need to pay out all this time (assuming it is accrued) when someone terminates. So long as we segregate sick time, we are not obligated to pay out that piece. I encourage you to look at your state's wage payment law to see if this issue is addressed.
  • We have a PTO program that begins at 17 days per year. At 5 years, it increases to 22 days and after ten years, it's 27 days. There is no cap on accrual. I wasn't here when we changed to the PTO program rather than having vacation, sick leave, emergency leave, etc., but I understand that it has significantly reduced unscheduled absences in several departments that were having problems with employees calling in sick. Employees are encouraged to view their PTO as a savings account of sorts.

We also have one floating holiday that must be taken between January 1 and October 31 or it is lost.
  • 5 days after 1 year
    10 days after 3 years
    12 days after 5 years
    13 days after 6 years
    15 days after 7 years
    20 days after 15 years
    4 hours sick after 1 year

All of this is "use it or lose it". Not very competitive; I am attempting to change it.
  • We accrue on a monthly basis on the last day of the month. You start accruing as of your hire date. If you are hired between the 1st and the 15th of the month, that is your first accrual month. If hired after the 15th, you begin accruing the following month. We accrue 1.25 days per month up to 15 days. However, you are allowed to carry over a total of 20 days at any one time. On your 5th year anniversary date, you accrue 1.67 days per month equaling 20 days again with the same 20 day carry over.

We also give 4 personal days which are use 'em or lose 'em. A new employee will be allowed 1 paid personal day after three months with the balance of three being credited on their six month anniversary. On your anniversary date, whatever isn't used, drops off and you gain 4 more days to use during the next anniversary year.

We have sick time but you must provide doctor's notes. We allow 5 unexcused absences for exempt employees and 3 unexcused for non-exempt employees before the employee begins progressive discipline.
  • Our vacation and sick time are different categories of time off. Employees earn 15 days of vacation in the 1st and 2nd years, then go to 20 days until 20 years of service when it goes to 25 days. (It's a great thing!) Vacation accrual is based on a daily accrual so figuring an employee's time is relatively easy when terminating him/her. The maximum an employee can keep is 160 hours. Once max has been reached, it stays at 160 until some time has been used and then it starts accruing again (kind of a use it or lose it proposition).

Sick time starts with 6 days available to use in the first 6 months, then 1 day per month up to a maximum of 18 weeks. Each year an employee can "convert" 3 sick days to "personal time" that can be used for any reason with supervisory approval.

We also have a "sick leave bank" which is a program that allows employees to donate a day to the sick leave bank for use of employees who need additional time off for extended illnesses--either himself or immediate family members. An employee does not have to donate to the "bank" to participate. All requests are reviewed by members of management for "withdrawals". If an employee has consistently used all available time for minor things, then his/her request will probably be turned down. The plan is intended for those employees who have tried to maintain a balance of sick time but have used it for a "serious" illness or injury.

All regular part time (20+ hours/week) and regular full time employees are eligible to receive this time.

And, full time staff have 9 paid holidays per year. Thanksgiving and the Friday after give our employees an "automatic" four-day weekend. For employees who have to work the holiday, they get 8 hours of pay plus the pay for the hours that they work.

There are very few employers who match our time off in our area. I feel thankful to have the opportunity to work here.
  • What industry do you work in? It almost sounds like the bio-pharmaceutical industry.
  • I work for a child-welfare agency in central Illinois.