Would you reimburse employee for child care expense?

This question keeps coming up in our company and I haven't found a way to say yes, although I'm sympathetic

We are a research organization, and one of our centers has developed a workshop out of their research, which certain members of that center (who are employees) are best qualified to lead. This is a unique but very lucrative aspect of our business.

The workshops are offered around the country. Every now and then the only person available to lead a workshop may have child care issues in which s/he has to pay out of pocket for someone to watch their child. They keep coming back to me asking if we will reimburse them. From their point of view they shouldn't have to incur this expense for a function that is part of their job. From my point of view I don't want to open the can of worms that is paying for child care under various situations. Not to mention the inequity of paying child care for someone who seemingly doesn't have other options (single parent with no relatives in area) but dening paying child care to someone who seemingly does have options (person with a spouse who can take paid time off, person with relatives who can take the child, etc.)

Any good ideas on handling this creatively? Or words of wisdom to support my continuing to say no?

Thanks.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Offer to everyone similar to a health insurance benefit - say for example, let part of the child care to be paid by company up to a certain amount ( that you determine ) per month, and the employee pays the rest.In this way, all employees are treated equally. While it may not cover all of the expenses for this specific employee or any employee, it is better than nothing.
  • Look into a formal Backup Childcare Program.Try KinderCareAtWork.com Given that the problem occurs for people in an important function for your company doing something on a formal basis would be well received.