Employee Picnic

In the past, my company has sponsored a company picnic at a nearby amusement park. This has really gone over big, since there is dinner, rides, a water park, and all the amenities that go with it. Due to budget concerns, however, the company is considering not having a picnic this year. Any suggestions on what we can do that will be less expensive, but still encourage employees to attend? I'm afraid that if we try to scale it down, nobody will attend, but I'd like to do SOMETHING!
Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Funny, I was just researching this issue this morning. I have two questions: (1.) Could you afford it if you eliminated dinner -- they buy their own at the park or bring a sack lunch? (2.) Can I come to work for you? Just for one day.

James Sokolowski
    Senior Editor
    M. Lee Smith Publishers
  • What we do from time to time is have a company cookout during lunch time for employees. Our CEO cooks hamburgers/hotdogs on a grill and we have a company bring in the meat and the side dishes. This usually goes over very well. If you wanted to further save money, you could have employees bring the side dishes in instead of having them catered. We are a very busy medical practice with around 125 employees at this one location, so lunch is very much appreciated.

Also, from time to time we have ice cream socials for employees. (maybe around July 4?) We set it up in a breakroom or a central location and employees come in and get a banana split or ice cream sundae.

Another thing we have done is bring in muffins/danishes/donuts for employees for breakfast.

Yes, most people do gain weight when they come to work for us. (My saving grace is I'm a vegetarian who doesn't like sweets!)

• Our company has an "Employee Activity Committee" consisting of volunteers. They have elected a Chairperson, who oversees the committee's activities. The committee puts together the employee picnic as well as a Holiday dinner in December.

The revenue for these get-togethers comes from 50-50 raffles. Each week "EAP" volunteers sell raffle tickets for $1.00. Before the shift ends, a ticket is pulled from the basket. The winner receives half of the money collected that day.

The company, at its discretion, will make a contribution to the fund for door prizes and give-aways at these events.

It works great for us and raffle day brings some surprises to boot. A few of our employees will purchase a ticket and put another employee's name on it. It is usually an employee that does not participate in the raffle. Imagine the surprise when that guy wins. x:o
  • We're trying to upgrade our company picnic this year from a low budget, not too exciting event to something that will be a red letter day on our employees' calendars. We can't afford a day at an amusement park, but we found a place nearby that is a historic farm. They provide a chuckwagon meal, a pool, ball diamonds, scavenger hunts and an air conditioned building in which we can eat and get out of the heat. We have exclusive use of the facilities also for a full 8 hours. It's quality and offers "amusements" for all ages. We'll be able to do the whole thing for 150 people for about $2500--considerably less than an amusement park. Maybe there is something of that sort in your area.