Benefits for some not others

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-14-01 AT 03:42PM (CST)[/font][p]My Company has paid holidays as one of our full time benefits. this would give all full time employees 3 days off when a holiday falls. we are a 7 day a week business. At first our HR department said the Managers and District Managers had to give the benefit to all who qualify but now they have changed their mind and said it is up to the DMs to decide how they want to handel the holiday, almost all of them have said no to the 3 days off- only our regular two. Can they do this?
Thanks- oster
i should add we are closed on the holiday and do not get any extra comensation for still working five days those weeks.

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Holiday's are not federally mandated. It is up to the company to establish it's own policies regarding holidays and then follow them. My company has 7 published paid holidays. This year the president of the company has decided to close our facility for the day after Thanksgiving, the day before Christmas, and the day before New Years. These days will be unpaid, but I won't hear any complaining from the ranks, because they realize the intent of our policies is to pay for the holiday DAY only. If an employee has vacation available, it can be used to cover the unpaid day.

Back to your question -- If company policy leaves holiday scheduling up to the DM, then your choice is to adjust to it gracefully or not. Or not means that you are making a choice to be miserable about a situation you can not control. Or not means that you should find another job. Companies have to make business decisions based on that company's specific needs, some needs require working on a holiday. None of us really appreciate a holiday falling in the middle of the week ... guess what, it's going to happen again and again!! Look on the bright side -- holiday pay plus straight time or maybe overtime pay, that's hard to turn down.