Employee Sharing of Sick Time

We have a seriously ill employee. I have been approached by several of her co-workers asking if they could donate sick time to her (she has exhaused all hers). Our company policy does not address the issue. Are there any potential landmines, from a risk managment perspective, that should be factored into the final decision?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Some time ago we too had a situation during which fellow employees wanted to donate PTO hours. After much research through HR and accounting sources, we developed a program whereby a fellow employee can donate the dollar value of a designated number of PTO hours. (We discourage anyone from donating anything that will put them under a 40-hour remaining balance.)

The program is strictly volunteer and is only done in hardship cases. Many donors wish to remain annonymous. Should the recipient wish to express thanks, I suggest a card or letter that can be relayed to the donor.

• If you're interested in drafting a policy addressing donated leave, you can find several sample policies contributed by other Employers Forum members at
    [url]http://www.hrhero.com/policies/policyindex.shtml[/url]

Christy Reeder
    Website Managing Editor
    [url]www.HRhero.com[/url]
  • I think this is commendable that people would want to do this. It seems that I read or heard somewhere that there could be a tax liability to the receiving party? I hope not as this would definitely defeat the purpose.
  • Donated PTO value is posted to payroll as Misc Income and is taxable to the recipient, which does reduce the net. Still, recipients are most appreciative for any unexpected income to help cover employee costs for health insurance, etc. The morale boost experienced by all parties involved is immeasureable!!