Halloween Dress Up

As much work as there is to be done, someone can always dream up more stuff to ask about? Do any of you ever have any requests from your staff to "dress up" at work for Halloween. I am talking about like you did when you were a kid going trick or treating! I don't have a problem with Halloween motif sweaters or autumn sweaters, but I do have issues with adults running around in a cardiology practice dressed up like witches or skeletons.

This "observance" is also offensive to some people.

Am I being a party pooper or what?

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • No, I don't think you are a "party pooper." I agree that the decorative sweater/socks/tie thing is OK -- let's everybody have some fun if they want. We also put up a few decorations. I think the costumes are too disruptive -- everybody spends alot of time discussing each others' creativity (or lack thereof). As for those who find the "observance" offensive -- they are the party poopers.
  • I've never been big on Halloween taken to the extreme. However, for years our employees have the option to "dress up" for the day...some scarey and some whimsical. We also offer an assortment of seasonal lab jackets throughout the year.

Most of our patients get a kick out of it, and I'm not aware of anyone expressing offense. Although I probably would not have supported this initial decision, we find an occasional fun day is an overall morale builder.
  • We also allow employees to dress up if they so choose. In addition, we have a contest for the best costumes. It was a practice long before I arrived here and our members love it. I haven't had any problems with anyone being offended either. If people do not want to observe Halloween, they simply follow our regular dress code for the day. It is a morale booster and also a team builder since entire departments have now begun doing different themes.
  • I agree with your views because of your type of business, you are a cardiology practice (we are cardiovascular surgery). Even though we like to relax a little and have our fun, our doctors would like us to keep it a little more dignified and professional in the office. We do relax our dress code at times to include the holiday motif type sweaters and pins etc. however, costume dress up it out of the question and our employees do not even ask for it because they already understand the doctors' preferences. I do not think that you are a party pooper.
  • Hello,

I am the H/R Manager for a large company. The tradition of dressing up in costume for Halloween is a long one at my company. I find in these times a little fun is needed. As I sit here in my fairy princess costume I tell those of you worried about it to not be so stiff! We are human after all and business suits are another kind of dress-up anyway! Out of 400 employees and many years we have never had anyone offended! Besides, my CEO looks very funny as a biker :) Happy Halloween to all...
  • This is the first time in 10 years that employees could dress up. It has been a wonderful day!!! Depending on the costume, some employees have changed into their costume - walked around and then changed back into workable clothes. Our elderly Sisters have thoroughly enjoyed the fun. And several of our Leadership team have dressed up also. It has not been very distracting--and we all need a fun day ocassionally. They are already thinking of ideas for next year!!
  • We are a small company (26 employees). The IT staff takes a picture of everyone and then camouflages the pictures by putting a picture of a famous person on top of the employee's picture. For example, one employee had Margaret Thatcher's face but the eyes were the employee's eyes. The contest is to see how many employees you can correctly identify. The one with the most correct guesses wins two movie tickets. Second and third place each gets a big bag of candy. We have a sunshine fund where employees donate through payroll deduction. That money pays for our expenses. Employees are asked to look at the pictures on their lunch breaks or before or after work - not on company time.

We also hold a pot luck luncheon on Halloween and every employee brings something. We start off with breakfast foods, then hors d'oeuvres, then the luncheon. The employee draws out of a hat to see what item they will bring to the luncheon. Food preparation is done at home then brought in to the office for reheating.
  • A little late in responding. We are in the tourism industry and always have the chance of a political official stopping in. So it isn't a matter of "party pooper", just not professional.
  • I was glad to see so many positive responses. We tried this for the 1st time this year in our office. Just a small group participated, but it was refreshing. Our company was recently purchased and we have had a lot of "unknowns", business has slowed considerably, and it provided a bit of a lift to everyone. It did get a bit noisy mid-morning when the "judge" chose the winner & group pictures were taken. Probably the only change I see for future events is making sure that portion stays on the "lunch time".