Earned Benefits

At one of the HR/Benefits seminars I went to, the subject of benefits earned while on workers comp came up. I have an employee that has been on workers comp for several months. Our minimum required HOURS WORKED are 1664 annually. Is this employee entitled to benefits (vacation, sick, insurance program [excluding COBRA]) when the minimum hours worked are not met? I understood that the minimum hours worked had to be met regardless of the reason for time off.

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We have also had an employee out on worker's comp. for several months. Our policy states vacation is earned per hours paid, not hours worked. Therefore, she is not entitled to any vacation time, as she used all of it at the beginning of her worker's comp. time. Now, the company that handles your worker's comp. should be in touch with her regarding her lost time, which is a completely separate issue.

As far as sick time is concerned, our policy is 7 days per calendar year - so that is really a moot point. You would just have to check your sick time policy.

Our team member still has her insurance going here - my understanding from that is that we cannot legally take her off the insurance policy.

Hope that helps, for what it's worth.