Blind Candidate

We would appreciate advice and suggestions on interviewing a candidate who is blind and the types of accommodations/arrangements which are recommended. We’re wondering in particular about completing an application (should we get one printed that is in Braille or online?) and during the interview process how to structure the computer and call simulation.

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Since you haven't had any responses, I'll take a shot at this --- In my early career, I was fortunate to work in a state vocational rehab agency and had many co-workers who had a disability of one kind or another. I learned a lot that has helped me throughout my career. First and foremost, I learned that accommodating folks with disabilities is much easier than most of us would assume.

I think it is great you are contemplating what accommodations may be needed. My experience has been that a candidate will ask for the accommodations they need and that it is generally an interactive process between employer and applicant or employee. None may be needed. Many folks with a visual impairment may not read braille -- it is not uncommon for them to have a computer reading program they use. One reasonable accommodation for the application process would be to provide a staff person to fill out the application for the candidate, with the candidate supplying the information.

I'm not sure how to answer your question on the computer and call simulation as I am not familiar with what you do. You may simply ask (all candidates) if any accommodation will be required during the interview process or include a statement in your ad or posting that states, "Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation as a part of the application process may contact (NAME) at (NUMBER)."

An excellent resource to check out or call is the Job Accommodation Network. Their website is [url]http://janweb.icdi.wvu.edu/[/url] or you can call them at 1-800-526-7234.

Good luck!

Cheryl