FMLA for Father?

Employee has requested FMLA paperwork to take her father to periodic doctor's appointments. Yesterday he got something caught in his throat and was unable to clear it. They sent him from the local hospital to the University hospital and on the way, the cleared the obstruction. From what she said, it does not sound like he has a serious health condition, she just wants to be available to take him to different appointments. Am I way off base here? She can use sick time for the appointments. Any guidance on situations like this would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It sounds like her father is getting up there in years and requires more attention and help. That in and of itself does not necessarily meet FMLA standards. However, he may have a specific illness that he sees the doctor for, and not just check ups. That might qualify. It sounds like you need more information. Give her the paperwork and then you will be in a better position to determine if it is necessary or not when you get it back. I think the best time to turn down FMLA is after you have made sure you have all the facts and can support your decision in court.

Keep in mind that it is almost always better to have the FMLA clock running. She might take all of her sick time now on appointments and then expect an additional 12 weeks later. Which would you prefer? Some now and some later for a total of 12 weeks, or some now and 12 later for a total of who knows how much?

Good luck

Nae
  • Nae-
    He is getting older and does require more attention. This employee is our Problem Child (as I'm sure you've heard my call her before) and will use every angle to work the system. She does not want to use her sick time, or any paid time for that matter. I will give her the paperwork and wait for the doctor's certification. That is the way to go anyway, isn't it? I am not a doctor and therefore cannot make determinations on what is a serious health condition. At least she can only take 2 weeks before we force the use of paid time, in accordance with state law.

Thanks again!
  • That's how I would go. Give her the paperwork and let the doctor make the determination.
  • Under FMLA, a need to be present and provide emotional support for a parent is a covered event.

best wishes.