Disability problem

We are a small corp, less than 50 employees with no STD or LTD offered, and not subject to FMLA. An employee upon returning from major illness and surgery, is unable to perform their duties and this has been going on for over a yr. I am a new HR mgr at this corp. and employee has had in the past 3 employees under her either quit or ask for a transfer. She is not able to perform her job or any in this corp, but she is kept on the payroll out of loyalty. Any suggestions to delicately move forward with management to get employee off payroll and into a program?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • BETHGG: As an HR I would have discussions with the senior leadership and develop with her/his manager an Action Plan for emprovement of performance by the individual ee. Then get the agreement for action by the responsible supervisor/manager and be prepared to hold the manager's feet to the "fire". Moving people onto the payroll and off of the payroll is not an HR's responsibility in the decision making process. Yours is to administrate and make sure the companies leadership do not over stepppppp their bounds!

I hope this helps, while I teach "leadership" I do not exercise leadership over anyone outside of the HR functional area. I pick up the pieces and fix things when something is broken, but only from the stand point of planning; execution is the act for all other operational leaders. They get paid to do the dirty work and I really refrain from doing their dirty work of leading for their pay.

PORK

• Bethgg,

I'd say it really depends on her boss and the big boss. If they want to keep her, you might be spitting into the wind. Your strategy should be based on their stances and personalities.

I'd start with a short, factual list of what she does that helps and hurts the company. And maybe a comparison with similar employees or the company's expectations for the job. Focus on performance, of course, and ignore her medical condition.

And mention that the longer you keep an underperforming employee, the harder it is to fire them - both from a personal and legal viewpoint.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com