Migraines and Myspace Generation

Yesterday, I had three staff (all in the 18-25 year range) tell me they had migraines.

We were having an all day staff event and two of them were asking to be excused from the event because of the migraines. The third mentioned her migraine to me in order to explain why she was wearing Arnold Schwarznegger Terminator style sunglasses indoors.

Two of the staff seem like healthy young adult males. The third does have some various health problems.

I just dont recall having migraines at that age. I do recall calling in "sick" a few times.

I also didnt spend hours in front of a computer screen like these guys do checking e-mail and their Myspace pages.

Is anyone else getting migraine complaints from younger staff or am I just lucky?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Our migraine sufferers are in all age groups. But the one who seems to suffer the worst is in that age group. I used to have migraines but when I was put on high blood pressure medicine they practically disappeared. My daughter's friend (19) just had botox today in order to control her migraines, on the advice of 2 of her 3 neurologists. My son used to get them in high school whenever there was a big assembly, lots of people & lots of noise. He still gets them occasionally but not as often.
  • There is some relationship between migraines and hormonal cycles, so that might be a partial explanation.

• As a migraineur myself, I could probably write you a book about them. But I'll save that for another day and instead give you some quick hits that may help you assess whether the migraines are real or Memorex (as the old commercial goes).

Migraines affect women more often than men. They can vary from just bearable to dark room, no noise, fetal position awful. They can last from a few hours to a few days (that's right, buckaroos, DAYS.)

The most common triggers are:
    * Emotional stress.
    * Sensitivity to specific chemicals and preservatives in foods, as well as to certain foods themselves.
    * Caffeine.
    * Changing weather conditions.
    * Menstrual periods.
    * Excessive fatigue.
    * Skipping meals.
    * Changes in normal sleep pattern.

Migraines seem to occur more frequently in people who also have these health conditions:
    * Asthma
    * Chronic fatigue syndrome
    * Hypertension
    * Raynaud's phenomenon
    * Stroke
    * Sleep Disorders

It is common for a migraine sufferer to get 2-4 headaches per month. Some people, however, may get headaches every few days, while others only get a migraine once or twice a year.

I pulled most of this info from WebMD,
    [url]http://www.webmd.com/content/article/46/1826_50692.htm[/url]

As far as your employees are concerned, Paul, it isn't out of the question that three would have a migraine on the same day, particularly if there were a big change in weather the night before or that morning. If you're especially concerned, and you have sick leave, you could ask for doctor's notes that they are receiving treatment for migraines.

Hope this is helpful.

Jennifer Alvey, Esq.
    Group Publisher
    M. Lee Smith

• I am one of the lucky few men who has had migraines all of my adult life. Since the age of 22 - they were once a week at first, but now can be quite frequent.

That does not mean your EEs aren't goldbricking, but it also does not mean they are. If you are in doubt, and you are subject to FML, then require a certification for the intermittent leave.
  • Interestingly, there was a major change in weather that preceded the migraines. Then again, here on the coast we have major changes of weather all the time.

And coffee? Well this is the pacific northwest and we practically swim in coffee.

I will feel better about some of these employees and their migraines when I hear that they stayed home on a Saturday night with one...