Time for a Revolution

Is there anyone out there as fed up as I with the current unemployment system? After reading recent threads about folks receiving UI benefits for peeing in sinks, being fired for drug use, slapping co-workers, yadda yadda yadda, isn't time that the HR community demand changes from Congress to reform the system. I know each state runs its own show, but federal funds are provided, and the Feds can enact changes. Its time to have a system that provides unemployment to those folks who have lost their jobs through NO FAULT OF THEIR OWN. I want you to all stand up, go to the window and shout, "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore..."

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Georgia is pretty good about UI claims. However, TX is a nightmare as is other states. We have several situations where former employees have no business drawing unemployment (and I would be embarassed to even apply) and they won.
    Also, UI has gotten so mechanized that they have no idea if the individual is even out searching for work and don't even seem to care. That is what makes me mad.
    E Wart
  • Do you have any experience with Alabama or Florida? It's ridiculous how willing they are to give deadbeat employees unemployment benefits for getting terminated for cause. Even with significant documentation about the problems the emplyee exhibited, if there is any hint whatsoever that the employee was terminated because "he/she was just not qualified", the benefits flow. Since when did unemployment become a substitute for effort and ability? It's a freakin' joke.
  • Wisconsin is horrible when it comes to UI awards. I recently had one wherein we termed an EE for failing a post accident drug test and she applied for UI. Even though we had all the documentation regarding our policy, the test results, etc. AND the former EE did not even show up for the hearing, we ended up losing the hearing and the ALJ's justification was that we could not prove that the EE was actually under the influence of marijuana at the time of the accident. So, in essence, the ALJ is stating that employers have a right to terminated EEs for using illegal drugs but they still have a right to collect 39 weeks of UI!!

I have attended several UI "committee" meetings and have tried, along with many other ERs, to get things to change but here in WI they still use a definition of "misconduct" that dates back to the 1950's or 1960's.
  • Linda,
    That's exactly the problem. The states use antiquated definitions, have huge and ineffectve bureaucracies, and have claims examiners who have not the slightest bit of common sense. The whole system needs to be dismantled and restructured. The waste, fraud and abuse is the highest I've ever seen. We really need a grassroots effort from the HR community to shed light on the waste and demand reform.
  • Not to mention that you can get any business friend to sign the paper saying that you are looking for full-time work. I agree with all of you: the system is FUBAR.