WC Measures

I am creating a risk management program and want to establish measures for tracking purposes. I have the usual info that osha requires for the 300 series forms, but wanted to see what others use. If you are using or aware of meaningful workers' comp measures, please share them with me. Also, if you know of a website or resource that would be helpful to obtain such info, let me know this as well.

Thank you for your help and have a great day!
KB

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Your mod rate is a fairly useful tool, especially since your rates are partly based on it.

Days without a lost time injury.

Recordable/non-recordable

Don't forget near misses. They turn into accidents.

I also look at the costs of different types of injuries. Laceration- generally small. Strains and sprains- nightmare.

• Analyze frequency of accidents (number of accidents against total hours worked); severity (how many lost time days); average cost per injury; departments where injuries occured; time of day; day of week; average seniority of injured employees; average days on the job when injuries occurred (which is different than seniority - a long term employee may be relatively new to a particular assignment); and supervisors that injured employees report to. Obviously, you also want to analyze the types of accidents that are occuring (cuts, slips, falls, sprains, laceratons, etc)against some of those other measures(i.e. are you seeing more back injuries in the morning; or on Mondays; or on 2nd shift, etc) Each of those measures can give you meaningful data about your overall workers comp activity and can help you spot trends that may be contributing to accidents and injuries.
  • Thank you for the comments. They confirmed a few measures and provided many more new ones to consider. Very helpful. Your time and responses are greatly appreciated.
    KB