Holiday pay while on w/c?

I have an ee who is on light duty, restricted to 20 hours per week. Our policy reads that ee must work 30 hours per week to be eligible for benefits such as holiday pay, insurance, etc. Due to that fact I did not give her Holiday pay for Labor Day. Now she is calling and asking why? When I explained the policy she said she would be working 30 hours if the Dr would let her. I'm not aware of any laws in Wisconsin that would create a problem here. Anyone else know? Thanks for your help.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Cindy -

I'm in WI as well and, while I don't see anything "wrong" with what you did, at least from a legal standpoint, I probably would have given her the holiday pay - or at least part of it since her restrictions are certified by the physician and she IS working but this is more of an employee relation thing than a legal one.
  • CINDYP: Stick with your policy and procedures as it is written. If this is wrong for your company then change your policy and procedures and re-publish to all employees.

PORK
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-24-05 AT 02:51AM (CST)[/font][br][br]If this employee is concurrently on FMLA, she is due the holiday pay. The FMLA specifically prohibits counting such absences against the employee. Employees with 12 weeks absence are eligible for perfect attendance awards as well, strangely.

But, to your policy....I am guessing that statement is really intended to distinguish between part time and full time employees as relates to benefits like holidays. Her temporary association with FMLA would not subject her to the designation of part time employee, in my opinion and she should not be considered part time in the instance of holidays. Your policy probably restricts group insurance to those working over 30 hours per week too. Are you planning to drop her insurance coverage?