FMLA Forms

The FMLA form ask for the signature and information from the "health care provider". Does this person have to be a doctor or can it be a PA, Nurse, Mid-wife, etc and still meet the criteria??

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • "Health care provider" under the FMLA is defined at 29 CFR 825.118.
    The definition includes in relevant part -
    "doctor of medicine or osteopathy" and "any other person determined by the Secretary to be capable of providing health care services." According to the regulation, that includes podiatrists, dentists, clinical psychologists, optometrists, chiropractors (to a limited extent), nurse practitioners, nurse mid-wives, clinical social workers and some Christian Science practitioners. (See regulation for specifics.)
    Bottom line: "Any health care provider from whom an employer or the employer's group health plan's benefits manager will accept certification of the existence of a serious health condition to substantiate a claim for benefits". It's best to read the full regulation, but that's the crux in a nutshell.
  • There's also language about their being certified by the state to practice or offer services in the state, otherwise, I suppose we'd accept paperwork from witch-doctors too.

Disclaimer: This message is not intended to offend or attack. It is posted as personal opinion. If you find yourself offended or uncomfortable, email me and let me know why.