ADA/Paying for an interpreter

One business unit in the conglomeration of staffing companies that I work for is involved in staffing Social Service organizations that care for at-risk youths, and adults born with mental retardation and other developmental disabilities. This group recently interviewed a deaf applicant for a position supporting a developmentally disabled individual who is also hearing impaired. Since the person being cared for uses sign language as well, there was no need to worry about reasonable accommodotions in terms of performing the job duties.
The applicant indicated that she received financial help from the State, including reimbursement for use of an interpreter, which will be needed for her to successfully complete New Employee Orientation before she starts her job.
Today she informed us that her file with the State has been closed and there will be no money to reimburse the use of the interpreter, which will now cost us $35/hour for an approximately 8 hour orientation, which is tomorrow. Does paying for the use of an interpreter for Orientation fall under "Reasonable Accommodation" and does the dollar amount surpass the "Undue Hardship" requirement?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Question 1- Yes

Question 2- There is no hard and fast rule on what $ amount is undue hardship that I know of. IMHO, your total budget would have to be very small to say $280 is undue hardship. I would advise to pay for the interpreter.
  • I agree with SMace. The small cost of having an interpreter for training will not amount to an "undue harship" for most companies. We recently hired a deaf ee as clerical support for our office and had an interpreter present for the first week and part of the second week of training. Doing so allows us to ensure the ee understands her job duties, as well as making sure the ee is aware of our policies and practices.