Workers' Compensation

It's another one of "those" days!

I had an employee come to me this morning regarding her back. In August of 2003 she slipped in our break room and pulled her back muscle. She was given a clean bill of health on 10/10/03.

She states that her back has been bothering her. And wants us to re-open the claim.

Am I correct that she just needs to go her her own doctor and that this does not fall under Worker's Compenation?

Thank you for your assistance in this matter.

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • By clean bill of health, I'm concluding that the ee had reached MMI or was released for work with no restrictions. If that's the case, the ee sustained an injury since then. Someone's 'back bothering' them does not constitute an injury and does not relate by to the earlier injury.

If you ask the employee when she re-injured her back, she's apt to think of an incident. I would ask if she's seen her doctor in reference to her complaint and I would leave it there. I would not encourage FML or reopen an earlier claim.
  • Here, I would tell her she is at liberty to visit her own doctor. That's all I would say. I wouldn't give her any signals. But, if his notes reflect the proximate cause as being the old back injury, her carrier is likely to bounce it back and you might have to file it with your comp carrier and let them hash it out. This is the most common trick in the book with employees who have prior comp claims. Everything for the rest of their lives is related to that claim.
  • Thank you for your quick response!

I will inform her to see her primary doctor.

As always - very helpful!

• I would not automatically re-open either. I created a questionnaire that employees have to complete if they are requesting medical care (work comp) and there is no specific incident to report on an accident form.
    I ask:
    1. Briefly describe the condition.
    2. What symptoms are you experiencing?
    3. When was the first time you noticed a problem?
    4. How often do you experience the problem? (approx. # times per week)
    5. During what time of day does the problem most often occur?
    6. Why do you believe this condition is caused by your employment? Be specific.
    7. Any other information you think would be helpful.

After they complete this I review each question with them and get as much info RIGHT THEN as possible. I think I am pretty liberal in terms of siding with the employee, and if I can't justify in my mind why we should request work comp, then I simply tell the employee that this does not appear to be work related and they will have to see their own physician. Sometimes this takes care of their interest in work comp, and sometimes they contact a lawyer and pursue it anyway. We deal with that when it comes. But this is a process that helps me.
  • This is an extremely dangerous questionnaire to play with Lorrie. Why even entertain this quasi-medical self-assesment when, as you stated, there is "no specific incident to report on an accident form"?

Gene
  • I agree with Gene. One could be accused of playing doctor with such a form. Can you envision yourself on a witness stand being grilled by her attorney?: 'And tell me, Lorrie, when you evaluated my clients symptoms, using this medical questionnaire of yours, and you told my client that this injury did not appear to be work related and that you were not going to file or reopen her claim, what specific medical training in your background were you relying on to support that medical conclusion?'

Relating a physical condition to work or anything else is, after all, a medical conclusion.
  • I agree with your thoughts on playing doctor, but I'm not sure how else to get enough information from an employee when they ask for medical attention for ridiculous things. Using this process, if it seems possible that it is work related, I turn it over to our work comp, tell them my concerns, and let them make an actual medical determination.

For example: an employee came to me and said "my belly button hurts, I need to go see a doctor." When I realized this employee was serious I asked him to fill out an accident report and as he was doing so he stated that he could not answer some of the questions because there was no specific incident. So I created this form to help me understand what the problem was. As it turns out, he did not see any doctor (to my knowledge) and when I asked a few days later how he was doing he said fine and had no more problems. (I personally think someone told him he could get a few days off and when I questioned him he backed off.)

Another case: an employee had dust in his eye over 2 years ago. A simple eye appt flushed it out with no additional medical care needed. Last week he tells me he just had some strange separation of layers and he is going in for eye surgery. He wants us to see if this is related to the incident 2 years ago. I had him fill out the form, and that gives me the justification to go to the work comp company and say 'please check this out and determine if we are liable.'

How do other people determine when to send employees for work comp, and when to send them away and try to discourage work comp? I want to be fair to the employee, but I also have an obligation to my employer not to be unfairly generous.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-05-05 AT 02:39PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Your process works almost backwards from ours, or rather ours works in reverse of yours. In Mississippi, an employee who claimed an illness or ailment like yours would be told they are free to seek medical attention on their own. If the treating physician related it to the job, then their insurance policy, against which they should file, would try to put it off on comp. At that point, it would be between their carrier and our comp carrier.

If the clinic called here, which they typically will, we would NOT tell them it is authorized as comp. We do not do that unless we send them there subsequent to a definite on job incident. We would also feel free to tell the clinic the name and phone number of our comp carrier, at which point the clerk at the clinic and the adjuster or claims agent at our comp firm would debate the issue and it would be approved or not.

Consider this example: We had an employee slip and fall (supposedly) last year. We sent her to our clinic and she was treated, the fall was written up and we took our comp and OSHA licks. About two months ago she comes to HR to report that her knee is bothering her and she wants to go to the clinic under the comp policy because she thinks it might be related to that fall. I refused that and told her it was entirely up to her if she wanted to seek treatment, that I would not authorize it as comp. Had I called and authorized comp, we would have paid the bill for the knee replacement she had three weeks ago. As it turned out, she went on her own and the doctor wrote it up as arthritis and not job related. So, health insurance paid the bill and she paid her deductible. She now has an attorney who has filed a petition to controvert with the state comp commission. Still, it's between those players and our comp carrier. That's what we pay THEM for.

We are not in the comp business. It sounds to me as if you ARE.
  • It seems to me that you need a good working relationship with your comp doctor. The one we use knows that our philosophy is to begin treatment for an injury in a conservative manner, if appropriate for the injury in question. Then we let the Dr. and our WC carrier decide if it is related to an event or exposure in our work place. In Kansas you have to report any incident that remotely could have occurred in the workplace and then let your WC carrier and the DR determine any work relatedness.
  • It is my understanding that in FL, unless you settle with the understanding that your payout covers all future medical care, the claimant gets lifetime medical coverage.

If I were you, I would call my comp carrier and get them involved in the decision.

• 1. Briefly describe the condition.
    2. What symptoms are you experiencing?
    3. When was the first time you noticed a problem?
    4. How often do you experience the problem? (approx. # times per week)
    5. During what time of day does the problem most often occur?
    6. Why do you believe this condition is caused by your employment? Be specific.
    7. Any other information you think would be helpful.

I understand your motive. We've all been in that quandary. Think of the reason and employee comes to HR with a medical complaint. Normally an employee who is sick or experience pain just go to a doctor? Are work related injuries reported to department heads or to the person who supervises the employee? My first question would be 'did you notify your supervisor?' I would avoid #'s 1,2,4,5,6, and 7. Maybe I would ask #3. I'd definitely call the supervisor and find out if the employee has made a complaint.