Request to extend FMLA

Do you normally have a whole new med. cert. completed and request for leave? This is our first request for an extension by individual on leave. Any specific forms, letters, or other documents relative to this would be appreciated.

We did not address this in our 7-page policy. Any specific wording in your policy would also be appreciated. You can email such to me at [email]tracye.mayolo@bwood.com[/email].

Thanks a million!

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Whenever I have an employee on approved FMLA who needs additional time for the same condition I simply have them provide certification verifying the need for additional leave from the treating physician. I do not require another Wh-380 be completed, just a simple note from the physician verifying that the EE needs additional time off.
  • I wouldn't address this in the written policy. I'd prefer to not paint myself into any corners. Anything satisfactory to the employer can be acceptable and I'd simply attach it to the original certification. If circumstances warranted a whole new certification, I would require that. However, sometimes a Drs note might suffice or a return to work slip or a fax from the nurse. It's totally up to the employer as to what is acceptable for the extension of a certification. Whatever makes sense, meets your needs and does not unnecessarily put the employee or doctor to any trouble.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-05-05 AT 01:19PM (CST)[/font][br][br]STRETCHED2THIN: I agree with both of the above, we do have a formal benefit plan extention of medical leave of absents following a FMLA. We do require and additional WH-830 to be completed and we get the physician's best determination as to when this employee will be returned back to work and regular duty. If you do not have a formal plan then go with the simplest explanation, but make sure you have control over abuse or discrimination and the granting of extention for one and not for another.

Without an extention and a failure to return to work on the final date of the original FMLA will get you terminated as specified by our letter of approval of the original FMLA. We make the call and it will be "Medically Disqualified" termination every time.

Just had one last week and this morning I have the inquiry for UI. I have provided the information and a copy of the FMLA letter and the instruction to the ee which designated that she had to be back at work by X day. Most likely she will not be entitled to UI but if they give it to her it will not be chageable to our experience rating.

Our concerns for the above and the process is designed to remain consistent in our application of benefits and FMLA. Additionally, premium payments for medical and retirement contributions must be considered and the proper activities must go on regardless of FMLA and personal leaves of absence, which is what it would be if not for our medical benefit extention. 6 weeks is the max time allowed for PTO without pay due and premium payment. One in this situation must pay the premium up-front. No premium payment in advance, the coverage is cancelled and COBRA must be offered.

One thing always leads to another HR issue. So build your bridges and cross them everytime in the same way!

PORK